Gua Sha for Beginners: A Comprehensive Guide
Gua sha is a natural, alternative therapy that involves massaging the skin with a massage tool to improve blood circulation. But, where does this trend come from, what does the word ‘gua sha’ mean, what are its benefits. Read on and you will answer this and more questions about this self-care ritual that everybody needs to start doing.
What Does Gua Sha Mean?
Gua means 'scrape' and Sha means 'petechiae', which are tiny red and purple spots in Chinese. This actually started as a full body treatment, before it being used in facial techniques. The key point is to scrape the skin, with the purpose of instigating blood flow, releasing toxins, stimulating lymphatic drainage, and bringing helpful cells to the area by stimulation.
How To Use A Gua Sha Tool?
There are a lot of tutorials online but with the following is the only gua sha tutorial that you need.
- Cleanse your skin: Before using the gua sha tool, make sure to cleanse your skin thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup.
- Moisturize your skin: Apply a thin layer of face oil, serum, or moisturizer to your skin. This will help the gua sha tool to glide more smoothly over your skin.
- Hold the gua sha tool correctly: Always be sure to hold the gua sha tool with the curved side facing your face. Gently glide it up and out, always beginning with the neck. Always do the stroking down the neck, never upwards, this way you are draining fluid.
- Startscraping: Focus on your jawline, chin as well as around the mouth, pass the tool on your skin maximum five times per area. Never do long back and forth massages, the strokes need to always be short and in just one direction. Lastly, work the gua sha tool in small horizontal strokes over the brow bone to lift.
- Finish with skincare: After you have finished using the gua sha tool, rinse your face with warm water, and apply a moisturizer or face oil if desired.
Know that gua sha tool is not only to be used on the face and neck, actually gua sha for scalp massages is also very popular, as it helps blood circulation in scalp to boost hair growth.
Using scalp massager at the hairline and hair comb through the hair with a small zigzag motion. Repeating this step by gentle pressure until doing this action through the entire scalp.
What You Should Take Away
The shape of the gua sha is designed to be perfect for its intended use which is to sculp and relax the muscles, depending on where its being used. And there are also a variety of materials used to make gua sha tools, such as jade, stainless steel, bronze, etc.
Nowadays, the most popular choice should be horn guasha board. As horn is a natural material due to its smooth and gentle texture on the skin. Another advantage of horn is that it is durable and long-lasting, making it a great investment for those who plan to use their gua sha tool regularly. Additionally, horn is believed to have healing properties, making it a great choice for those who are looking for a tool with added benefits.
People sometimes think that gua sha is a hard skincare tool to use, but on the contrary, gua sha is really easy. Just follow the steps mentioned before. Guasha will be an easy and effective skincare routine.